Dance is offered as an elective to the following Year groups:
- Year 8 - This is a school endorsed course which has a performance emphasis and focuses on safe dance practice and shapes in dance. Students develop their skills as a soloist and group performer. Students also gain skills in composition, knowledge and appreciation of dance as an art form.
- Years 9 and 10 - This is a Board endorsed course covering Stage 5 of the Dance syllabus. Students study a range of topics including the history of dance, the elements of movement, dance on screen, modern dance, Australian dance, musical theatre and basic anatomy. As with the Junior course, the focus continues to be on performance, composition and appreciation.
- Year 11 and 12 - The Senior dance course meets the requirements for Stage 6 outcomes. There are three areas of study: performance, composition and appreciation and then a major study which is chosen by the student.
The Dance department at Hunter River High School offers a range of extra-curricular activities. These include:
- HRHS Showcase
- Starstruck HRHS Star Struck 2017 Team
- Special assemblies and presentations